Monday, July 28, 2008

Touring the town on our own...

...was much easier because the Korail operates much like the subway in Hong Kong. You pay based on distance traveled and scan the card before and after you board your bus and/or subway train. It costs 700 won or 70 cents to ride on the bus and cost us 1900 won or $1.90 to get to Itaewon Station. Above ground, there is a strip of quaint shops and services that can be interesting to North Americans...for Angela and I, Itaewon was a tad boring. The two Starbucks helped us feel more like home but we already felt settled or whatever given our apartment and things so yeah, it was sort of a waste of time so we headed back to MyeongDong where the shopping was SUPER AWESOME!


Here are some photos of us getting ready to leave, in transition from Itaewon to MyeongDong and the views:















Angela eats what I made: miso soup with seaweed...and grape juice
















Mom: I made that!!!




















First real day with sunshine: we are squinting with pleasure















We did not dress alike on purpose but we did receive some compliments for being so pretty about our outfits



















GS25: A convenient store where Angela bought her bus card




















The view up our hill















We rely on pictures and sign for our understanding of EVERYTHING
















One of the two Korean churches in our neighbourhood















Inside the bus...















Our neighbourhood is lined with beautiful trees. They are only around 6 to 7 years old.
It's nice to see our neighbourhood for the first time without rain.




















Different use of space in Korea...they build upwards not outwards like we love in Canada.















The intersection before our stop at Boemgye Station






















Home group? HOME STATION!















I made her stand there to take a wider view of the subway car

















Sometimes we don't understand...so we do without...
















...and then there are those "aha" moments...
















...and they keep us going for HOURS!























Itaewon shops spill into the streets


















We took a road less traveled...even "real" Korean people turned back haha

















This is where Angela was grabbed by one of our Korean teachers. I think they thought we were smart to take the subway all by ourselves without supervision haha






















Angela is SMRT! She ordered her food!























The soft tofu soup was better at the "Cockroach Motel". I like how we are getting picky with the type of Korean foods we like.























Better shopping: MyeongDong




















The other side of what I was looking at...






















Screaming for my life: I was kidnapped by this crazy looking pelican






Stay tuned...that was only the first day of our holiday.




Adios!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow... I actually remember the places in those photos. including the pelican